Ledger of Clark J. Dillow Funeral Home
and Dillow and Wood Funeral Home
This ledger of Clark J. Dillow was transcribed by Margaret Wood Cassidy and Elisabeth Wood Elenz in January 2008. Margaret and Elisabeth are daughters of Elisabeth Dillow Wood and granddaughters of Clark J. Dillow.
The history of the Funeral Home as we know it is:
Clark J. Dillow started his funeral business upstairs of the Rudgers building at the corner of Rts 21 and 82, Brecksville. Mr. M. C. Rudgers was the first funeral director in Brecksville. The funeral home at 8079 Brecksville Road was built in 1906 and served as a residence of the family (Clark J. Dillow, 2nd wife Jennie Hopkins Barnes Dillow, son James H. Dillow, daughter, Elisabeth Adaline Dillow (Wood) and Bessie Barnes (Clark).
In 1938, Charles F. Wood went into partnership with his father-in-law, Clark Dillow and formed Dillow and Wood Funeral Home. 8079 Brecksville Road became the residence also of Charles F. Wood, Elisabeth Dillow Wood, Margaret and Elisabeth Wood.
Later, after the death of Charles Wood in 1960, his daughter Margaret and her husband, Harold R. Cassidy operated the funeral home under the name of Cassidy-Dillow-Wood. The business was closed and the building razed in 1983.